Say Hi!

My Blog

Shop My Store

Place Value Craftivity

It is COLD here in Texas! We went back to school this week and hit the ground running! I was so proud of my firsties and their excitement to pick up right where we left off in December.

A teacher and student's favorite words: SNOW DAY! We didn't have one today, so we brought the snowflakes into our room!

I created a place value craftivity to bring the snowflakes and excitement into our classroom! (You can find it HERE). It was perfect timing too! It started snowing this afternoon and we loved watching it through our windows while we worked.


I sent the kids off to stations (their favorite) and pulled a few kiddos at a time to make their snowflake! First I let them build it with the base ten blocks. Then, they had to count their number out and tell me how many tens and ones they needed to put their snowflake on paper. 

My favorite part about this activity were the conversations that we were able to have about the numbers! Of course, I had a few girls who wanted their snowflakes to be so pretty, and they decorated it with TONS of ones! That led us to the academic conversation of what happens once we have a group of ten ones, which was awesome! They settled for snowflakes with just 9 ones :)


When I made this crafitivity I had my students in mind. I know that some students are ready to talk about the value of the numbers, where as some students are still just becoming comfortable with identifying tens and ones. I differentiated the writing portion and it worked out perfectly!

I can't wait to add this to my math tubs as my students become more independent with the concepts. A dry erase pocket and some base 10 blocks...endless snowflakes! 

Click the picture below to grab this craftivity on SALE for the weekend!


Thanks for stopping by! Do you have any place value craftivities that you love to use?? 

No comments